Friday, January 11, 2013

Chronicle of My Florida Fall Escape

I went to Florida just before Thanksgiving last year. It was my second time and as the cliche goes, it's sweeter the second time around. It's because every time I visit a place for the first time I have this "see all, do all" attitude. I have to see everything and do everything. I spend a hell lot of time in Googling things, reading Trip Advisor and watching Travel Channel episodes. I have a day to day itinerary of all the tourist spots and restaurants I want to go to. It's pretty exhausting but it's absolutely rewarding. It's also the best way to get exhausted. Really. Anyway when I visit a place for the second time, it's mostly for pure fun and relaxation. 

First stop in Florida is Jacksonville. I stopped for a night to meet with a friend. 


That's me with Nina (the one in hot pink) with two of her friends. They call themselves Asian barbies. Haha! They're so hilarious. =)

We went to Pancitan Atbp., a Filipino restaurant along Beach Blvd. We feasted on authentic Filipino delicacies. 



Pork sisig. I stopped eating pork since May of 2012 but there's always an exemption to every rule. Pork sisig was too good to pass up.

I left hastily after lunch because I want to be able to walk around St. Augustine before it gets dark.

Photo: cityprofile.com
Aerial view of Castillo de San Marcos. The best view of the fort. Castillo de San Marcos is the oldest masonry fort in the US. It's built mainly to protect the city of St. Augustine from pirate raids of the British during the war.


Inside the masonry


The view from the top of the wall was breathtaking.


I of course needed to do a little bit of camwhoring while enjoying the view.



ME..ME..and more of ME..

I also walked around downtown and saw a great deal of Spanish influence in the architecture of the city.


I fought the urge to sit in a bar and have drink. I went back to the car and started driving to Miami. Woot woot!


The only thing I did in advance in Miami is book a hotel. Other than that, I had no plan of what to do, what to see or where to eat. It turned out to be the best plan ever.

One of the many mojitos

I used Cuban mojitos to keep myself hydrated under the heat of Miami sun. I was lightheaded all the time but that didn't matter because I was having too much fun.

I ate tons of sinfully delicious meals.


Seafood Paella from Cafe Carlyle


Tuna tartare from Cafe Cardozo


This was probably the healthiest meal I ate during the course of my Miami getaway. Grilled chicken breast with pesto and organic brown rice from Juice and Java.

I also met with old friends who recently moved to Miami.


We took tons of  pictures endlessly.


We wandered along South Beach aimlessly. Super Fun!

I was sad to leave Miami. But all good things must come to an end. So until next time Miami!


I made one last stop in Florida before I started the long and miserable drive back to Wisconsin. I went to Honeymoon Island in Dunedin Florida. I was so excited to go because I've read about this place before in Travel + Leisure and Travel Channel.

Honeymoon Island is one of Florida's State Parks. There's tons of fun activities to do in the park but it's a really popular wedding venue among other things.


I saw two beach weddings on different parts of the island when I was there. Both weddings were intimate and oh so romantic!

There's just one thing that visitors should beware when visiting the park.


This caution sign was displayed by the state park entrance. I was surprised to see it because the articles I've read before about Honeymoon Island never mentioned rattle snakes. I had to double check if I have my insurance cards in my purse before I got out of the car.

I still had fun walking along the beach despite the rattle snake scare. The weather was perfect, the beach was so beautiful and the atmosphere was so tranquil and romantic.



Can't help but snap a photo of this guy watching the sunset.  Postcard perfect scene.


I waited for the sun to set before I left the park. Before I left paradise.


No comments:

Post a Comment