Sunday, February 5, 2012

All set for Mardi Gras

I'm all set for my road trip to New Orleans! I feel so excited since it's been a while since I last traveled. Peter and I will attend the Mardi Gras festival in Louisiana on February 19-21. As far as I know, the Mardi Gras in Louisiana is one of the biggest carnival celebration in the United States. 

Photo credit: Limolivery website

We had a hard time finding a good hotel deal since a lot of hotels were already booked up for the Mardi Gras weekend as early as December. We didn't have a choice but to pay premium rates in our hotel. 

Anyway, I can't wait to go since I've heard so many nice things about New Orleans. I've been watching different clips from Travel Channel about the place. I have already started planning our itinerary for the entire trip. 

Here are some of my to do and to go list:



Wander around French Quarter and just appreciate the unique architectural styles that reflects the city's rich history and multicultural heritage.



Party in Bourbon Street. Bourbon St. is probably one of the most popular place in New Orleans for its notorious nightlife. Since Peter likes jazz music, we'll probably spend some time in jazz nightclubs along Bourbon. 


I certainly have to try the famous 250-calorie-per-piece beignets paired with cafe au lait of the iconic Cafe du Monde.

Photo credit: Flickr
Savor Louisiana's Creole cuisine in Antoine's, the oldest restaurant located in the heart of French Quarter.



Visit Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World to check out sculptures and floats used in previous Mardi Gras festivals. Maybe we'll visit the Warehouse District [Art District] too to check out their art galleries and world class museums. 

Photo credit: elvis.com

And on the way back, we'll make a quick stop over in Memphis to visit Graceland, a 13 acre mansion of Elvis Presley. 

Anyway, I'm also thrilled because this is my first major road trip. Peter have been into so many that he can't stop raving about it. It's time for me to try it. I can't wait.

Have you been to New Orleans? Are there any other places worth checking out in NOLA? Give me some suggestions! 



No comments:

Post a Comment