Friday, December 16, 2011

Last hurrah in Oahu

We really made the most out of our brief stay in Oahu. It was an exhausting vacation. But the exhaustion wouldn't match the happiness we felt all throughout our stay. So here's our last hurrah in the island.

There's nothing better than a good cup of coffee to jumpstart another adventure filled day. I liked how almost all the  restaurants and stores in the island provides a Chinese and Japanese translation as opposed to Spanish translations in other states in the mainland. [Hawaii has the highest percentage of Asian residents.]


After coffee, we headed to the Seaside Bar and Grill for breakfast. They offer the best breakfast deal in the island. Imagine getting 2 pancakes, 2 strips of bacon and 2 eggs for $3.95! However, I wasn't contented with the deal. Instead, I ordered the Bombucha breakfast. For $10, I got rice [Yes! I'm Asian. I eat rice three times a day.], 2 strips of bacon, Portuguese sausage, 2 sausage links, a slice of spam, breakfast potatoes and 2 slices of french toast. Was that a deal or what?

Define gluttony.

After breakfast we didn't waste any more time. We drove over to Devil's Head National Monument. This was our second attempt to climbed the summit. The trail was .7 mile long but it's harder than it seems since the trail was unpaved and uneven. It lead through a dark narrow tunnel which lead to a 271 steps of steep stairway. Just when we almost thought the hike was over, we saw another narrow tunnel which lead to a 52 step spiral staircase. It took us around 1 1/2 hour to get to the top.

view from Devil's head

But once we got the summit, the heat and exhaustion was worth it because of these gorgeous views! =)

view from the other side of Devil's Head 


We drove to Byodo-In Temple afterwards. It was a very serene temple. It was so quiet and peaceful that it would be a perfect spot for meditation.


Peter contemplates as to why he wasn't born Asian. True story.

The temple is a replica of the original 950 year old Byodo-In Temple in Uji, Japan. The mountain backdrop, lush Japanese garden and koi pond helps create a very solemn atmosphere in the temple.


Byodo-In Temple replica in Oahu

It was past lunch time when we left the temple. It was our last day in Oahu and I promised myself that I would check out Max's Restaurant before I leave. Max's is a popular Filipino food chain which serves authentic Filipino delicacies.  And so we did. It was a true blue Filipino feast as we tried our hardest to finish of a huge order of crabmeat fried rice [a portion for 4 people], crispy pata and sinigang na hipon. I also ordered sago't gulaman for drinks and Peter loved it. And even though we were really full, I still forced myself to order a halo-halo to go. Damn. That was a bad habit. I liked taking things to go for later consumption even though I know I won't have room for it in the next 5 hours. I gotta get rid of this next time. Yeah. Next time. 


Germaine's Luau dancers

And for the finale, we joined the Luau at Germaine's. We found it this time and we arrived on time. 

For those who aren't familiar with this, Luau is a Hawaiian feast which features native Hawaiian delicacies such as poi and Kalua pig. Aside from the food, there are cultural presentations that showcases the rich culture and history of Hawaii. 

We were there early so we had plenty of time to walk around and take goofy pictures. We were given  food stubs and drink coupons upon admission. We didn't wait too long. We immediately headed down to the bar to get some drinks. Mai Tai for starters. We also didn't wait long for the program to start. It started of with a a prayer then we were ushered down the backyard to get the Kalua pig from the imu [underground oven]. We proceeded to the buffet table to get our dinner. I was still full from lunch at Max's so I didn't really have an appetite for food. [Yeah! I know! It doesn't sound like me.] I just got a little bit of Kalua pig, rice and some fruits which I didn't even finish. I didn't get the poi because it looked so gross. I got another round of Mai Tai instead. The host came back on stage while the guests were in the middle of having dinner. He announced that the show was about to start. 

The show took us on a musical journey that features Hawaiian customs, and traditional dances. It was also interactive as they encouraged the audience to join them on stage for some Hula lessons. It was a good show though there were cheesy segments. 

We left for Maui the morning after. =)





No comments:

Post a Comment